Biofuel and Its Benefit
What is Bio-Fuelit
Biofuel is a type of fuel, derived from organic carbon stock and whose energy is eco-friendly. This fuel is derived by converting biomass. These are solid biomass, some edible oils, and various biogases. Awareness of biofuels are raising day by day, not just because of oil price hike, but nowadays people are much more conscious about greenhouse gas emissions from fuels extracted naturally and they need energy security for them and for their coming generations. These kinds of green house gasses like CO2, carbon monoxide, etc. are destroying our ozone layers, thereby temperature of earth are growing day by day.
How Bio-Fuel is produced!
Furthermore, bio-ethanol usually is an alcohol, which is prepared through fermentation, mostly from carbohydrates extracted from sugar, or starch extracted from crops like corns, sugarcane naming a few. Bio-ethanol is extracted too from cellulose biomass. Cellulose biomass is extracted from non-food sources such as trees, plants, herbs, grasses etc. Bio-diesel, another name of bio-fuel, is made from the oils extracted from vegetables and animal fats. Pure biodiesel is used as a fuel for vehicles. Biofuel can also be made through TRU pyrolysis using organic matter which is also called biomass to make fuel. Furthermore, ethanol is used as most common biofuel. Alcohol fuels are produced by brew of sugars. This is a derivative of wheat, corn, sugar beets, sugar cane, molasses, potato, fruit waste and any sugar or starch from which alcoholic beverages can be made.
Benefits of biofuel
- Ethanol is used as a fuel for bio-ethanol fireplaces. This fireplace does not necessitate a chimney and are smolder less. Fireplace runs by bio-ethanol are extremely useful for modern apartments.
- Ethanol can be used in petrol engines in lieu of gasoline. It could be mixed with gasoline at any ratio. Many people use 15% bio-ethanol with petroleum/gasoline with their existing car petrol engines.
- An advantage of CH3CH2OH i.e., ethanol is, it has an elevated octane rating comparing ethanol-free gasoline for amplified thermal competence. In high altitude where air density is less, mix of gasoline and ethanol reduces air pollution through emissions.
- Biodiesel is another derivative of biofuel. It can be used with usual diesel engine can be mixed in any ratio.
- Biodiesel is safe to handle and safe to transport because it is as biodegradable as sugar. It is 10 times less noxious than table salt. It has a high flash point of about 300 Deg. F (148 Deg. C) than petroleum diesel fuel whose flash point is 125 Deg. F (52 Deg. C).
- Biodiesel or biofuel is cost effective.
- Biofuel augments engine performance.
- It appreciably trims down noxious smoke emanation
- It helps to protect the ozone level. It keeps the air safe from polluting by reducing release of carbon monoxide and other unsafe emissions.
- Biofuel can be produced with minimum investment.
- If it is produced locally, this can increase job opportunity.
- It is economical and of course an alternative to the fossil fuel.
Lately researchers are looking for every possible alternative energy source, this due largely to the world's energy crisis and the condition of the environment. The top of the list is replacing traditional fossil fuels with alternative and renewable energy.